Hey Mumma, Are you worried about your newborn diarrhea? Newborn Diarrhea breastfeeding is very sensitive and stressful thing for newly parents.
Don’t worry parents in this article you will get all the information about newborn diarrhea while breastfeeding and its cause, symptoms and treatment.
What about Newborn Diarrhea Breastfeeding?
Having a baby poop every time after breastfeeding is a good sign that your baby is getting enough milk. When your baby is full, the milk stimulates his digestive system. This causes the baby to have a strong urge to have a bowel movement.
Newborn babies have soft and squishy poops, especially if they are breastfeeding. If your baby poops frequently or the newborn baby latrine frequently, it does not mean at all that he has diarrhea (loose motion).
If your child is small, then it is common in him, but if your child is older than 2 years and does potty again and again, then you need to be a little careful and many times along with potty, constipation also happens in children.
If your infant has stools that are very runny and even leaking out of their diaper and are more frequent than usual, then they have diarrhea.
The child poops frequently and their color is like green or red and they feel weak, then you need to consult the child’s doctor. Apart from this, often children keep urinating again and again and this is also a problem and disease.
But first we have to know,
What is newborn Diarrhea Breastfeeding ?
Diarrhea in newborn means more then 6 time very loose or watery stools. 2 or 3 loose stool is normal but more than that is signs of diarrhea.
Is this symptoms in your newborn?
- Suddenly increase numbers of stools your newborn.
- Every time poop after breastfeeding means more then 8-10 times.
If you see these symptoms in your newborn then your kids may have diarrhea.
Diarrhea in Breastfed Babies – How to know?
- Diarrhea in breastfed babies is sometime hard to tell because normal breastfed babies pass stools loose or runny.
- Normally breastfed baby’s stools are yellow but sometimes can be green. Runny stools can even be bordered by a water ring. These are all normal stools.
- yellow watery diarrhea in babies is signs of newborn diarrhea with breastfeeding.
- In starting days breastfed babies pass stools 6-8 times day and after every feed until the age of 2 months. But is stools suddenly increase in numbers and looseness and more watery then your baby has diarehea.
- If the stools had bad smell, mucus and blood then this point to diarrhea.
- If your breastfeed baby had fever and sick so .it might be a symptoms of diarrhea.
Cause of Diarrhea in newborn babies Breastfeeding
- If your child is breastfeeding, then their entire base is on their mother. That means if your child is breastfed, till then you should take special care of your food and drink. All you need to know about how often to feed a newborn baby
- If your child is younger than 2 years then he may also have diarrhea due to rotavirus infection.
- Diarrhea can occur even if the newborn baby drinks cow’s milk. Because the digestive power of the child is weak in few months so, it takes time to digest cow’s milk and it cause newborn diarrhea.
- If the child walks on the knees, that is, the child is younger than 1 year, then he will repeatedly touch the ground and also pick up the things lying on the ground, so his hands will get dirty and bacteria will get in the hands and those dirty hands Even if he puts it in his mouth, he may get an infection this cause child may have diarrhea.
- Some times many antibiotics cause mild diarrhea.
- If the baby is older than 6 months and has started BLW (solid food), many babies are prone to diarrhea because babies can’t chew large pieces properly and their stomach gets upset.
- If your child start teething. It also cause of diarrhea.
- Sometimes Lactose Intolerance is cause of diarrhea. Because Lactose is the sugar in milk. And Many kids can’t absorb lactose. The gut bacteria convert the lactose to gas and it cause diarrhea in newborn or below 2 year kids.
- Many times child eats and drinks more fruits and liquid items, It also cause child may get diarrhea.
- Sometimes your kid eats something like egg, peanut, bread to which is allergic food for them, then the child’s stomach may get upset and the child has to go to the toilet again and again.
Diarrhea in Formula-Fed Babies – How to know?
- Generally Formula feed babies pass stools 5-6 times per day in 1st week they born. after that they pass 3-4 times a day. but if the stools suddenly increased then your baby has diarrhea.
- Formula feed baby’s stools are thick like peanut butter and yellow color.
- If the stools suddenly increase in number or looseness. If it lasts for 4 or more watery stools, the baby has diarrhea.
- If the stools had bad smell, mucus and blood then this point to diahhrea.
- If your formula feed baby had fever and sick so .it might be a symptoms of diarrhea.
- After 2 months of age, most babies pass 1 or 2 stools per day. But if they pass more than that then they have mild diarrhea.
Cause of Diarrhea in formula-fed babies
- If your baby suddenly get diarrhea so they may have stomach bug. It also called gastro and stomach flu.
- If your baby feed formula milk then it get more time to digest as compare to breastfeed. so, It cause constipation or diarrhea in babies.
- Sometimes medicine can loosen your baby’s bowels and cause diarrhea.
- When we give solid food to our baby after 6 months completed. It cause sometimes loose motion or diarrhea because of changes in digestion process.
- Using a different formula milk or changing formulas can cause diarrhea in babies. because every formula is not easy to digest for all babies.
- If we feed other milk to babies it cause diarrhea in babies because Milk allergy and milk intolerance cause diarrhea in babies.
Foods that cause diarrhea in breastfed baby
If you eat gaseous foods so, sometimes this foods can cause allergies and sensitivities in your breastfed baby.
Specially, Cow’s milk, gassy foods, spicy foods, packet foods and caffeine like chocolates are the foods may cause this problem. You may have to evaluate your diet to try to figure out if something that you’re eating could be causing your baby’s diarrhea.
Effects of newborn diarrhea
If your baby suffering from diarrhea the very first side effect is dehydration. your newborn baby is so tiny so, dehydration is very risky if your baby has a diarrhea, vomiting and fever.
First call your doctor if you seen this symptoms of dehydration in your baby.
- dry mouth
- refusing to feed
- dry skin
- feeding only a little
- Nonstop crying
- sunken eyes
- not waking up easily
- dry diaper for 8 to 12 hours
- crying without shedding tears
Newborn diarrhea treatment – How to stop diarrhea in babies fast
If your newborn baby suffering from diarrhea then you can’t stop their diarrhea but you can help your newborn to make more healthy and comfortable. here I will suggest you some home treatment which you can follow when your baby has diarrhea.
- Keep your baby hydrated – If your baby breastfed then fed your baby more and more. If they feed formula milk then give normal formula and feed your baby.
- Electrolyte drinks – Ask your doctor to give electrolyte drinks to give baby or not. because this can help replace lost fluids and salts when babies have diarrhea.
- Protect From diaper rush – If your baby has a diarrhea then change your baby diaper every poop and keep dry it.
- Give this Solid Foods – If your baby is above 6 months then you should give them cereal, crackers, bananas.
- Avoid this foods – If your child below 1 year then please avoid give cow’s milk, other dairy products, fried foods, packet foods, spicy foods, soft drinks, bakery items, any antidiarrheal medicine without asking a pediatrician.
Care tips for newborn diarrhea
Mostly diarrhea is caused by a virus. Bacterial infections as a cause of diarrhea are not common and the main risk of diarrhea is dehydration. Dehydration means the body has lost too much fluid.
- If your baby on breastfeed then give your baby more and more breastfeed. and if your baby on formula-fed then give them more and more formula milk.
- Drink more fluids to prevent dehydration from diarrhea. so, keep your baby hydrate by giving breastfed or formula-fed.
- Remember do not give fruit juices because they can make diarrhea worse.
- If your baby eat solid foods then give them more starchy foods which is easy to digest.
- If your baby didn’t get enough breastfeed then you should give extra fluid. You can use formula or ORS (Pedialyte).
- ORS is a special fluid that can help your child stay hydrated. You can use Pedialyte or the store brand.
- call your pediatrician if baby has too much watery and bad smelly poops and Blood in the diarrhea.
When to Call a Doctor for Newborn Diarrhea
When you see these signs in your babies then you have to call your doctor.
- More dehydartion
- Not moving
- Blood in stool
- Not urine in past 8 hours with dark urine
- Dry mouth and dry skin
- continuing vomiting
- Over 104° F fever
- Fever in Newborn baby which is less then 10 weeks
- Weak immune system
- More then 6 times watery diarrhea in 12 hours
- Stomach pain
- Fever lasts 3 days
- Diarrhea more then 2 weeks
- Frequently loosen stools
Know how many times a day does the newborn potty?
Newborn Babies can poop every time they feeding two to three days or week. Remember Breastfeed babies poops more times then formula feed babies.
How do I know if my newborn is suffering from diarrhea?
If your baby pass loose stools so, it doesn’t mean your baby has a diarrhea. But if your baby pass more then 10 times watery, light yellow and bad smelly stools then they has diarrhea.
Why do babies get diarrhea when breastfeeding?
If your baby get diarrhea while breastfeeding then you need to some changes in your diet. please avoid cow’s milk, gaseous food, caffeine, spicy foods, fast foods, packet foods, fried foods.
How can I stop my breastfed baby from having diarrhea?
- Give more breastmilk to your baby. It prevent dehydration.
- If your baby didn’t get enough breastmilk then give them extra formula milk or ORS (pedialyte).
- If your baby eat solid food then you can give them cereals and bananas.
A Words From Love With Mumma,
Hey Mommies and parents, don’t too much worry about Newborn Diarrhea Breastfeeding (newborn diarrhea). It is a natural in loose stools in newborn babies and instants. A baby’s bowel movements can certainly be a part of that, especially for new moms. In starting days babies poops change their colors, textures and frequency.
But if you find above any signs and symptoms in your newborn diarrhea with breastfeeding or formula feeding then you have to take action.
I hope you get all the detail information about newborn diarrhea (diarrhea in babies) .
Also Read This :